Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bringing Sweet Back

  • I haven't done any baking since the holidays. I put myself on a baking ban after I failed my silly little glucose scan at 30 weeks and then had to sit through a three hour long visit to the blood center. It involved fasting. And chugging "fruit punch" from the bottle. And needles. Many needles. I don't do needles.

I do however, do cookies. As soon as I found out that I passed the blood screen from hell and don't have gestational diabetes (Woo!), I picked up my food magazines. Maybe it's weird to celebrate passing a glucose test by baking sugar filled cookies rolled in more sugar, but that just made perfect sense to me. The January issue of Bon Appetit includes an adorable little feature on a Rocky Mountain Ski party, full of snow boots and skiers smiling and feasting on delights like these:


Oh hells yes. I don't do skiing. I don't do vacations in the snow. But as I said, I do do cookies. These were perfection on yet another snowy day in the dirty Jerz. Thankfully, it didn't snow quite enough for an early dismissal, so no kids got in the way of my baking these. Crispy on the edges, soft in the center, with little chewy surprise bits from the crystalized ginger... So amazing dunked in a mug of hot tea!

Triple Ginger Cookies
Bon Appetit Magazine, January 2011 

  • Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup solid vegetable shortening 
  • 1/4 cup light molasses
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
  • Raw sugar (for rolling)

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment. 

    Whisk first 5 ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt* in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and shortening in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, and fresh ginger. Stir in crystallized ginger, then dry ingredients.

  • Fill small shallow bowl with raw sugar. Using moist hands, shape 1 teaspoonful dough into ball; roll in raw sugar. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
  • Bake cookies until golden and dry-looking, about 15 minutes. Cool on sheets.

    *Note: in the magazine, this recipe calls for no salt, thus, I didn't use any. The online version of the recipe includes it in the preparation steps, but not in the list of ingredients. Typo? Change of plans? Idon't know, but add it or don't, these will still be incredible!


    *P.S. Don't forget to enter my Valentine's Giveaway by Feb.1st! 

    This post is linked to:

24 comments:

Spryte said...

Mmmmmm... I LOVE ginger cookies!

M.M.E. said...

I just made molasses cookies but these will certainly be the next batch! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Heather S-G said...

Awesome! These are definitely one of my favorite types of cookies. I wish I had a few right now... thanks for sharing them w/ the hearth and soul hop. (ps...yay for no gestational diabetes...woot) ;)

Faith said...

Those look awesome!!!

Joanne said...

Yay for not having gestational diabetes! Woot woot!

These cookies sound amazing. I'll take triple ginger any time.

Tina said...

Quite pretty...love cookies, love ginger. I could scarf a few down with my afternoon coffee :-)

I have tattoes and still....the kinda needles you are taling about do indeed suck!

Joana said...

Your photo looks even more scrumptious than the Bon Appetite photo!

Recipe sounds divine!

Anonymous said...

oh these look so yummy!! If you ever have a chance I'd love for you to link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. www.ladybug-blessings.com oh & p.s come enter my giveaway for an inspirational dog print :)

Lisa said...

These cookies look fantastic. In my opinion, the more ginger, the better. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

Teresa Choplin @ tchoplin2009(at)gmail(dot)com said...

These sound great, think I'll try them!
I'm your newest follower from the blog hop. Please come by and look around my blog. Thanks and have a great weekend!
Tchoplin2009@gmail.com

Chubskulit Rose said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and for following my food blog. Here returning the love..

Rachel said...

yuuum looks delicious those pictures make my mouth water!
I actually just made lemon-drop cookies last night for the first time and I think I have a new fave!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap! These cookies look awesome and like none I've made before.... Love the idea of a Ginger flavored cookie. Sounds like a great cookie to have with a hot cup of tea on a cold afternoon (even though I'm normally a coffee girl ~ha). I'm bookmarking these to try! BTW, to participate in the Swap, please remember to include a link back to the party in your post. Thanks a bunch!

April said...

Hi! I’m your newest follower. Please stop by and follow back when you have a chance. You can also add your blog to our Blog Hop! Have a Sweet Friday.
http://www.AMommysSweetBlogDesign.com
http://www.MommysReviewsandGiveaways.com

Emily Carter said...

You had me at tripple ginger. I love ginger, and if I can tripple it, I'm all over it! Thanks for linking up!

Unknown said...

Nice blog, found you at Saturday swap.

The Wise Alternative 918-836-0565 said...

Haven't had ginger cookies in YEARS but will definitely have to try yours. Way to go on your good news and thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Oh my those look so delicious!!!!
Visiting from the blog hop. So glad I found you. Enjoy the rest of your Friday!
Nancy
http://discoverdirectselling.blogspot.com/

Aggie said...

Oh my ... I would love these cookies!! I love Ginger cookies! I' also on a baking ban, ugh, too much butter over the holidays!

found you over on Saturday Swap! :)

Southerncook said...

I love a good ginger cookie. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

Elsa said...

bahaha! I love this post! That's EXACTLY how I would celebrate as well! :)

Unknown said...

these look wonderful!!! Ginger cookies are among my favorite :)

Jen said...

oooh! I'm going to have to give these a try! My husband loooves ginger cookies, but he's always complaining that they're not gingery enough. Maybe these'll be the ticket :)

Miriam said...

I'm sold. I LOVE soft and sugary ginger cookies :) Congrats on not having diabetes!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters