Friday, January 14, 2011

Knock knock... Is this thing on?


Long time no see. After a lovely, long holiday break, I decided it was time for a blog break, y'all. I did a lot of re-evaluating over my vacation and realized that the amount of time I spend reading blogs, writing blog posts, editing, and obsessing is just ridiculous. Ri-dic-u-lous. I needed a dose of reality. Our baby bean is due at the end of March, baby classes began last week, we have a nursery to finish, and many plans to make. I also realized that a soon to be revealed project that has been sitting on the back burner for literally years needed to come to fruition now. So I've been deleting my Google Reader posts. Checking them all as read. Not commenting on other blogs. Not starring recipes to make later. And now I'm almost all caught up with real life. Phew. I'm still cooking though, (a girl's gotta eat!) and I did get a meat grinder, sausage stuffer, and immersion blender for my birthday (E knows me too well). Food will appear here, maybe once a week, maybe not, but I'm not putting any pressure on myself. I'm not going to worry about deadlines for contests or blog hops, and I'm only posting things that are slam dunks.

Like this salmon. Fricking delicious. And I thought I hated salmon!


Eli's Asian Salmon - Two Ways

Ingredients:
2 lbs. wild caught salmon filet
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbls. fish sauce
1 Tbls. sesame oil 
2 Tbls. minced fresh ginger
2 Tbls. minced garlic
1 1/2 c. panko bread crumbs

Preparation:
Line a baking sheet with foil and lay salmon on top. Whisk all ingredients exept for salmon and bread crumbs until combined. Pour about 1/4 cup of the soy marinade over the salmon. Top with bread crumbs. Spoon another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the marinade over the bread crumbs until they are all saturated. Spoon any fallen topping back onto the fish. Set aside for 15 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade for tomorrow's recipe.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Bake marinated salmon for 18 - 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve hot and reserve half for tomorrow's recipe.

Print this recipe

Asian Salmon Cakes with Soy Mayo

Ingredients:
1 lb. reserved Asian Salmon
Reserved soy marinade
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbls. mayonnaise, divided
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1/4 c. grated carrot
1/4 c. finely diced green pepper
olive oil

Preparation:
Flake cooked salmon with a fork and set aside in a large mixing bowl. In a skillet, heat a Tbls. of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add peppers and carrot and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add to salmon in mixing bowl. Add egg, 2 Tbls. of reserved marinade, panko, and 1/4 c. mayo and toss to combine. Form into four equally sized patties and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes. Whisk remaining mayo with another Tbls. of soy marinade and reserve for serving.

Heat 2-3 Tbls. olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once oil shimmers, reduce heat to medium and add salmon cakes. Cook  about 3-4 minutes per side, until browned and warmed through. Serve with greens and Soy Mayo.



This post is linked to:

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I just love salmon, especially when it has an Asian twist on it. I can totally relate to you having taken a blogging break over the holidays too, stopped reading posts, stopped commenting and now find myself with a lot to catch up on. Though, like you, I still kept cooking and baking up a storm. I'm participating in ceo a's draiocht's "Decidedly Healthy or Horridly Decadent Blog Hop" and you should come by and link these up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/chocolate-trifle.html

Jessica Gardner said...

mmmmm...salmon.
What's the secret project? Are you writing a book??? You should!

Donna said...

ooooooo....I've been looking for new ways to make salmon! Thanks Joanne...these looks awesome!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Mmmm this looks SO delicious!

<3, New Follower

Anonymous said...

What a great post, I can totally relate. I took some time off my blog over Christmas and made a few changes. I had to remind myself I have a full-time job already, my blog is only supposed to be a fun hobby. ARGH! It is ridiculous how much time a blog can take up, isn't it? Thanks for taking the time to post to my Culinary Smackdown challenge. An Asian twist on anything is delicious, especially salmon. Thank you and good luck!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

That salmon looks incredible! We just had some tonight, but not as good as your recipe! Thanks for sharing on Fresh Clean and Pure last week. I think it's good to take blog breaks, especially with a little one arriving soon! Roz

Holly Lefevre said...

Salmon is my favorite fish...we do not eat it often...but even my son likes it. the recipe sounds great!