Friday, November 30, 2007

Another International Thanksgiving...

After our long week in Cagliari, I was actually glad to get back to Friedrichshafen! Yes, I have now committed that blasphemous statement to print. Now let's move on. I spent the early week reading, knitting, and eating while watching two seasons worth of Family Guy, as Eric had to work, but Thursday was a full on Thanksgiving explosion. We invited four of Eric's colleagues for dinner, three Germans and a Brazilian this time, so I spent the day making the infamous party potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin soup, and a turkey. This year we actually found a whole one! It was the first time I have ever cooked a whole turkey, and the first time Eric had to carve one, so it was a learnin' experience. I felt a bit lame about not baking, but with limited cookware, I had no choice but to buy dessert. The boys brought a case of wiessbier, and 7 bottles of wine. It was fun, and I like making Germans eat American food, especially if it's even vaguely healthy, since our friends think we eat only McDonald's. They also think we are all fat heiffers, so I wore my skinniest jeans.

The rest of the week was spent hanging out, shopping, having dinner with friends, and other banalities that allowed finally for some relaxation. Then I had to head out on Sunday. I have since vented enough about the hell I experienced traveling home that weekend, so I will not recount the tale in its entirety here, so as to prevent myself reliving it. Suffice to say I got stranded overnight in Frankfurt, arrived home a full 24 hours later than I should have, and have been given 300 dollars back for my troubles.

Oh and p.s. Next time you travel, check to contents of your hand lotion. Glycerin sets of bomb sensors. :)

2 comments:

Jessica Gardner said...

what are the infamous party potatoes?

Joanna said...

Here you go Jesica!

Auntie Cyn's Party Potatoes

5 lbs. potatoes, peeled
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes. Mash while hot. Stir in butter and cream cheese. Add
remaining ingredients and stir just to combine. Spread in a 9x13 inch casserole and refrigerate.

An hour before serving, remove from refrigerator. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes to heat through. Serves 10-12.