Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dinner for One



When E is out of town, I get a little lazy with my cooking sometimes. I try to eat well, but cooking for one has never been my favorite thing. I tend to stick to things that are fast and portable, and that doesn't always equal delicious. In this case, however, it does. This little dish is like eating a big bowl of shrimp scampi without needing a fork. Plus, the added nutritional punch from the spinach and whole grain won't leave you feeling as guilty as a big buttery bowl of pasta might. Not that butter or pasta has ever made me feel guilty, but you know what I'm saying.


Shrimp and Spinach Scampi Toasts
serves one

Ingredients:
1/4 lb. shrimp, shelled and cleaned
1 cup baby spinach
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbls. unsalted butter at room temperature
2 Tbls. fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 lemon
salt and pepper
small whole wheat baguette

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, blend butter with garlic and parsley until well combined. Place spinach and shrimp in a small baking dish and season well with salt and pepper. Dot with butter mixture and bake until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
Slice baguette in half lengthwise and toast under broiler until golden. Top with shrimp, garnish with red pepper flakes and a squeeze of lemon juice. Pour any butter that remains in the baking dish over the toast.





* Also, Pretty Please take a moment to vote for my Pom-Filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes in the POM Wonderful Contest! I'd appreciate it as always!




This post is linked to:
Friday Potluck
Fresh Clean And Pure Friday
Tickled Pink
I'm Lovin' It Fridays

5 comments:

Aim said...

This looks so yummy! It is really making me hungry.

Elsa said...

I've never heard of shrimp on toast. Looks delicious though! And I'm not normally a fan of cooking for one either, so I completely understand.

Melinda said...

This looks delish! :)

Tina said...

If that's lazy, count me in! Shrimp on anything ...works for me :-)

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

What a wonderful recipe! I can't thank you enough for stopping by my blog last week and for sharing this post on my weekend get-together! I'm now following you and hope that you stop by again this weekend with another inspirational recipe, photo or thought! Roz at La Bella Vita