Monday, May 07, 2007

Cleveland Rocks


That's right, I'm a convert.

While it wasn't the greatest place I've ever been, Cleveland was a good time. I made it there in less than three hours, with only three bugs plastered on the windshield, and a quarter tank of gas left. Thank God for fuel efficiency, or the trip alone would have cost me forty bucks.

Saturday night we went down to the Flats, the entertainment district of Cleveland. We were told to do our research before heading out. I learned that the Flats has an East side, featuring these highlights:
- After a night of drunken debauchery in 2000, 3 people fell off the pier and drowned
- Raids in 2001 led to the closure of nine bars
- The current demolition project has left only ten hot spots open
- The East Side has a rep for crime and sometimes violence

So you can see why we chose to go check out the West side! And we are glad we did, because we had a blast.The West side is home to many more bars, clubs and restaurants, including the Powerhouse. A huge brick complex right on the water, it used to supply power to street cars, but now houses a crapload of cool bars. We didn't leave that building all night. We had dinner and beers at the Rock Bottom Brewery, where they make the best nachos ever. Then we had to go to Howl at the Moon. Let's just say I'm a sucker for dueling pianos. The place has bras hanging from the ceiling, and the guys did a killer rendition of "Sexy Back." Add that to the fact that there were seven bachelorette parties, a bachelor party, and two guys wearing kilts, and you have a hell of a good time.

The next day we went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I could have spent 6 hours in that place! There is so much to see it makes you a little dizzy. Although Eric did have to stop me from going "AWWWW!" every time we saw something owned by a dead rocker that I adore. Cause face it, most of them are dead.

It's definitely worth the 20 bucks, and you have to go. Wait til after the 25th of May when The Doors exhibit opens, though. That's one thing I'm sad I missed. Anyway, my favorite things were:
- John Lennon's first passport. He was such a cute Rockabilly boy! And his grammar school newspaper, where he drew comics and made up stories about "Mr S. Kull, whose wife left him for unknown reasons, which are unknown."
- Tom Petty's handwritten drafts of songs. It was so cool to see the thought process as he crossed out and reworked lyrics.
- The puppets from Alice in Chains' "I Stay Away" video.
- Janis Joplin's handpainted Porche
- The hotdog, soda, and fries from Phish's tours
- The Pink Floyd's "The Wall" exhibit, 'nuff said

All in all, what I saw of Cleveland was not bad, not bad at all. There is certainly a lot to do there, if you are into museums, sports, and drinking your little ass off. I'm sure you all fall into one of those categories.

No comments: