Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Banishing the bikini

I know, I said I was on a health kick. No more. The bikini conundrum disappeared in a puff of smoke  along with my hopes of tagging along for "Jessica and Nick's Babe-alicious Bachelor/Bachelorette Bash in Vegas" when last minute flights went up to $650. I celebrated my slide back into normal eating with the purchase of the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, and a recipe to use up a bunch of Easter candy that was still sitting in my pantry.

If you live anywhere near Rhode Island, you may have visited a Newport Creamery. If so, you may have ordered a Brookie sundae, and if not,  too bad, so sad! Approximately 85% of my frends and family members worked at Newport Creamery in high school, and it was THE hot spot for pre-gaming on a Friday night. Well, at least the parking lot was. Brookies were like gold in that joint, and I know plenty of people who snuck them from the kitchen to scarf down with zero concern for calorie content. Ah, the teenage years. A brookie is a brownie base topped with a layer of chocolate chip cookie. Topped with ice cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge, and whipped cream, it became a brookie sundae, my drug of choice for a long time. I've recreated it with candy additions because, well, I can.

Candy Shop Brookie Bars
Ingredients:
1/2 recipe of Brownie Batter (go ahead and use a boxed mix, or your favorite recipe)
1 cup chopped chocolate candy (I used Nestle chocolate eggs with Butterfinger, Crunch, and peanut butter fillings, aka Candy Crack!)

Preparation:
Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x9 inch glass baking dish and line it with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Pour brownie bater into the prepared pan. Sprinkle chopped candy over the batter. Drop cookie dough by rounded Tablespoons over candy layer.

Bake for 40- 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan and slicing into bars. Top with ice cream, caramel sauce, hot fudge, and whipped cream to make your sundae!

4 comments:

Pam said...

I'm sorry about the trip but then again, I may not be really sorry! :-) We may not have gotten this great recipe. It looks delicious and I will be trying it!

Unknown said...

oh, I said good bye to my bikini too long ago to remember LOL. And these little treats look so tempting that IF i had the bikini look, it would be compromised.

Jessica Gardner said...

You are the greatest. Thank you for posting this. I often think of the Brookie on the days when I want a brownie and a cookie together. Cannot wait to make these.
ALSO, I have a Kitchen Aid ice cream maker and would love to hear your ideas for making some low or non fat ice cream that doesnt taste like crap. (I tried a sorbet once. It didn't work out)

Mary Bergfeld said...

It's hard not to love these. This is my first visit to your blog. I had intended only to say hello but ended up staying much longer than I planned. I found lots to like here and will be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary