Thursday, April 29, 2010

Frosted



Our latest assignment for  HBin5 was a sweet one in honor of May Day (which is Saturday of course, so go make some little basket thingies and hang them on your neighbors' doors. Or if you are like me and have never actually met any of your neighbors, but suspect a few of them may be complete jackasses if not actual criminals, skip it.). Specifically, we were to make ½ recipe Chocolate Espresso Whole Wheat Brioche for Cinnamon Crescent Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing (Pages 294-296) and ½ recipe of dough for a loaf of Milk and Honey Raisin Bread (Pages 270- 271). Again, I'm a hack, and I blew off the chocolate dough in favor of a whole batch of Milk and Honey. I added a bunch of chopped dried dates to the recipe and used it to bake a small loaf (made for kick ass toast, I tell ya) and these swirly treats. I don't often bake for breakfast, but with this dough lying around I couldn't resist. It makes gooood sticky buns. Top them with leftover Pumpkin Maple Buttercream and you've got it made.

Milk and Honey Sticky Buns
Ingredients:
1/2 recipe of Milk and Honey Raisin Bread Dough from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day
1/2 cup brown sugar
 2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preparation:
Grease a cake pan and line with parchment paper, set aside.
Floor your board or counter well and roll dough into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. You can also do this on a silpat mat. Makes for easier cleanup! Toss pecans, sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over dough. Roll dough into a log and slice into 1/2 inch slices. Arrange slices in the cake pan and allow to rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden. Flip out of pan and serve upside down, smeared with buttercream or icing.



p.s. If your wondering what kind of wack job puts frosting on toast, yeah, that'd be me. When offered the choice between this melty gooey buttercream and plain ol' butter, there isn't even any discussion to be had.

p.p.s. Anyone else notice that Blogger is being completely annoying lately? Changing fonts without prompt, only allowing photos uploaded with Picassa or url's... what the f, Blogger. You're lucky I'm too cheap to pay for a blog host :P

9 comments:

Kim said...

Milk and Honey Sticky Buns sounds awesome:D It has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? I've been a very bad hbin5 member. I haven't made anything for quite some time. I really want to try that milk and honey bread though. Sounds delicious!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Mmmmm...those look yummy! The maple buttercream sounds delicious! I'm with you, why settle for butter when you can have something much better.

Petra said...

anything sticky has to be something good. Sign me up!

Michelle said...

The Pumpkin Maple Buttercream sounds so perfect with the Milk and Honey bread!!!

Blogger is annoying but so is WP! There I said it!!

Elwood said...

Honey and sticky buns just go together don't they? Great post.

Carolyn™ said...

Great Ideas loved them. :)

Mama Peck said...

Mmmmm Sticky buns! Does it get any better than that?? They look positively delish!

Bonnie said...

I loved this dough. It's definitely my favorite so far. I love the idea of using dates.

Clarice said...

Great idea to make sticky buns, and to use the maple buttercream. That sounds better to me than the cream cheese icing!