Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Taste testing

I'm beginning to fall in love with the people over at Marx Foods. Justin in particular who in my imagination is a twenty something studmuffin with a biting sense of humor who enjoys biking, baking, and med students (he'd be perfect for Joanne). I don't know much about what the real Justin is actually like, save for the fact that he sends me fun products to try from the awesome company of which he is CEO. I've already told you about the cute palm leaf plates I got, but this time my package was even better. Beans. And not just any beans, heirloom beans, which sounds so much more romantic and fabulous than just any old beans. Justin must be trying to seduce the peeps who read the Marx blog, 'cause obviously. But back off dude, I'm married.

My package included two types of heirloom beans, Marrow (which I'll show you later this week) and Black Garbanzo. I used the quick soak method to cook the garbanzo beans, which I like to leave slightly underdone if I'm going to then add them to a stew. These were a little smaller and nuttier than your usual garbanzo beans, and I could honestly have just tossed them on a cookie sheet to roast with salt and pepper. They were a yummy little protein packed snack. That would be boring, though, and I've been craving Indian flavors lately, so I turned the garbanzo beans into this bean and veggie stew. Over rice, it's a great dish in any weather, but particularly good the next day once the spices get a chance to hang out and hook up with each other. I dug it, E on the other hand said, "I don't like these little things in this." Things? He meant the beans, for shame!

Kabuli Chole
(also known as Chick Pea Stew)
Ingredients:
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 medium onion sliced thinly
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbls. fresh ginger, minced
1 28 oz. can peeled crushed tomatoes (or about 1.5 lbs. fresh tomato, peeled ad pureed)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 cups cooked black garbanzo beans
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbls. garam masala
cilantro for garnish

Preparation:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, cumin, coriander, curry and ginger. Cook, stirring often, until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Add peppers and garbanzo beans and cook covered over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in yogurt and garam masala and serve over rice.

Print the Recipe

No comments: