Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sloppy Joe, Sloppy, Sloppy Joe

Did you guys know that Mark Bittman writes a monthly feature for Cooking Light Magazine? I somehow missed that fact, even though I have a stack of recent issues sitting on my coffee table. Could be because that stack is 47 issues high and includes 90% food magazines. They get kind of lost together, and even though I skim through each issue as it comes in, I never really read through most of them. I started editing the pile this week. I set aside issues by month and started with the oldest, pulling out any recipes I want to try  and tossing the rest in my Freecycle pile. (What? You don't Freecycle? Get on it, girl!) I stumbled upon this recipe in the middle of all of my shredding and filing and drooling. So good, you guys! It's just as saucy and flavorful as the typical Sloppy Joe, but so much better for you. I even used ground turkey instead of sirloin, so that took the fat level down even more. If you want to make this dish vegan, I suppose you could use tofu or some Smart Ground or something. It's worth it, just grab some napkins before you dig in!

Almost Meatless Sloppy Joes
Mark Bittman's Less Meat, More Flavor, Cooking Light, May 2010

Ingredients:
2 Tbls. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped white onion
1 Tbls. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 oz. ground sirloin, pork, turkey, or tofu
1/2 cup grated carrot
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 c. crushed tomato
1 (15.5 oz.) can red beans, drained and rinsed
HBin5 Avocado buns for serving
red onion for garnish

Preparation:
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and ground meat to pan. Cook 5 minutes or until meat is browned and veggies are tender, stirring occasionally to crumble meat.
Add carrot, chili powder, sugar, oregano, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Partially mash 1 cup of the beans with a fork. Stir mashed beans and remaining whole beans into the meat mixture. Cook about a minute or until heated. Serve over buns with red onion garnish.

Print the recipe

This post is linked to:
IHCC


 TacklingBittman

17 comments:

Tina said...

I love that Adam Sandler routine...where Chris Farely just keeps cracking him up as a lunch room lady (snort!)

Bittman got this one right, and so did you!

NKP said...

Great flavours going on! And I am intrigued by the avocado rolls.

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks delicious--I love a good Sloppy Joe. I saw that he was in Cooking Light but much like you, I am way behind on my magazine stacks.
;-)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Great looking slopping joes - I need to try these. Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Debbie said...

I need to do more "cooking light". It sounds great!

Kim said...

Your avocado rolls look terrific and I love that there are beans in the sloppy joe itself! Looks delicious.

p.s. I'm going to have to check out the cooking light mag. I've always wanted to subscribe to it.

Joanne said...

I did NOT know this about bittman! You think you know a person...

These sound delicious.

Jenny said...

Hehe I used to have the same stack of magazines in my house! Most of mine were still in the plastic they came in though. hehe

This looks delicious, btw.

Curlicue a.k.a. Kathy, KD, Kate and my favorite, Miss Kat said...

My sister just signed me up for a year of Cooking Light. I'm so excited for it to start. Thanks for the sloppy joe reminder. I used to eat them as a kid and I loved them. Time to revisit my past!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I bet these taste great - I love Mark Bittman's recipes. I prefer ground turkey over beef - it highlights the flavors of onion and garlic better, IMO.

:)
ButterYum

Sarah said...

Yum I love me a good sloppy joe. Thanks for the recipe!

http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

Ranjani said...

I love his column! We're trying to cut down on meat as well, so I'm always glad to see Bittman's interesting ideas

Heather S-G said...

mmmmm!!! I've always wanted to make a sloppy joe with tofu...perhaps I'll give this one a go!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

I don't think we get that magazine here, but I've got a big stack of other ones. Thanks for reminding me that I still haven't tried these, and thanks so much for linking up with Tackling Bittman :-)
Sue

Christy said...

What a delicious sounding sloppy joe - I love the addition of beans - something I do also. Gotta love Bittman - and thanks for linking this to the Bittman Hop!

Dr. Laura @ WhoIsLaura.com said...

Oh! I haven't had sloppy joes in ages! Add that to my gigantic list of things to make :)

Thanks for sharing with the Tackling Bittman Recipe Hop!

Dr. Laura

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Sloppy Joes mean comfort food and your dish looks quite comforting. Thanks for sharing this and linking it to Tackling Bittman.