Friday, December 03, 2010

Heart and Soul


Notice anything different? Yeah, boyeee! That'd be a quick shot taken from my new baby. I am now the lucky owner of a Nikon D40X. The very lucky owner. You see, when my parents last came to visit I asked my step-dad to bring his camera along for me to play with, since I was in the market. He did, and little did I know, he tucked that little bit of info away for what would become weeks of undercover communicado. He and E had it all planned out. My mom, true to style, ruined the whole surprise. When I told her about my broken point and shoot she told me Ralphy was planning to give me his camera. So my birthday and Christmas came early this year, on Thanksgiving. I have lots to be thankful for.

My family is awesome. So for this week's IHCC theme, Warm the Belly, Fill the Soul, I thought of making a family dish. One inspired by Giada's family for my own to enjoy. I found this recipe from G's Nonna Luna and thought it would be a perfect little homage to my amazing famiglia. From her kitchen to mine, right (Sorry, wrong Food TV star)?

Sadly, we were underwhelmed by this dish. E and I found it bland, and the butter/hot sauce combo looked too "buffalo wing-ish" for me to really dig it. I tossed in some peas for a much needed veggie boost and hoped for the best. It was ok, but if this is what has become poor Nonna Luna's food legacy, shame on Tits McGee. I'm sure her grandmother made better food than this!



Nonna Luna's Rice
Adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis

Ingredients:
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 cups brown rice
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 clove garlic minced
2 lbs. small shrimp, cleaned
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
juice of 1 lemon
4 Tbls hot sauce
1 cup heavy cream
pepper

Preparation:
Melt half of the butter in a large sauce pan. Add rice and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until all stock is absorbed. In a large saute pan, melt remaining butter over medium high  heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Add lemon juice and hot sauce and cook until shrimp is just turning pink. Stir in cream and heat through. Serve over rice.

Print the Recipe


Notes: I am currently entered in three, count 'em, three food related contests. If you love me, please help me out by taking a few moments to vote! Thank you, thank you for your support, and I will always return the favor!

Just leave a comment on this post to vote for my Plan it, Blog it! Thanksgiving 2010 entry. Each comment is a vote!


Click here to vote for my entry in the Archway/Bakespace photo contest. Leave a comment to vote for my photo: #12. Each comment also enters you in a giveaway for a box of all of Archway's holiday cookies which are scrumdiddlyumptious.


Click here to vote for my entry in the Chile and a Spoon Contest. Just a click for Go Ahead and Snicker will do it.


This post is linked to:
IHCC
I am a Food RENEGADE!
Foodie Fridays
Fresh Clean and Pure Friday
Seasonal Saturday

9 comments:

sheri said...

Congrats on the new camera! Looks great! You definitely need it for your blog and .... other things ;o)

DanielleisNesting said...

I would be green with envy but the food looks so delish it's destructing me! Have fun with your new toy!

Patty said...

LOL! This post is hilarious! I saw Giada make this shrimp dish with her aunt (right?!) and it really did look delectable on screen! I can't believe that it really isn't all that great! Although, it looks like you managed to save the dish in your photo! Congrats n the camera!

Belly Charms said...

Following you back, yummy, and I have one of those awesome cameras for my jewelry photography too. :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha! "Tits McGee"! Love it!
-Jen

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new camera. Sorry that the dish didn't turn out as expected, but I do think it LOOKS and sounds gorgeous.

Thanks for bringing to Friday Potluck! Please do add a link when you have a moment :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

That looks so yummy!!!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm following you back! :)

Kim

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy said...

I never combined shrimp and peas in same dish..this is such a cool idea given the fact that I can eat both of these with anything under the sun.
Thanks for stopping by..Loved your space!

Holly Lefevre said...

New camera! Lucky lady...yummy recipe good luck with all of your entries!