Monday, December 27, 2010

Heating Things Up


Here in RI, like most of the Northeast, we got at least 18 inches of snow yesterday. I know our house is probably buried in Jersey, too, and I feel a tiny bit sorry for our upstairs neighbor having to do the shoveling alone. Not so sorry, since I wouldn't be much help anyway, but a little bit bad. Bad enough that I'll probably make him some cookies when we get back. Me, I'm so over cookies.

I'm over sugar actually. It's a blasphenous thing to say, but after two weeks of non stop sugar, I have to call it quits for a while. Luckily massive snow drifts and a long morning of snowman making lies in my future, so the motivation to make spicy pots of toasty soup is fresh. This one is perfect for defrosting snowpeople after sledding, fort building, or whatever else you have planned while digging out from the blizzard today, if you must.

Martha's Chicken Soup, North African Style
adapted from The Martha Stewart Living Cookbook

Ingredients:
3 whole bone in chicken breasts, split, skin removed
3 medium carrots
1 medium white onion
2 celery stalks
3 sprigs fresh parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 quarts water
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 medium butternut squash
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
freshly ground black pepper
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked couscous or brown rice
Cilantro and lime wedges for garnish

Preparation:
Slice onion and one of the carrots in half, place in a stock pot. Add chicken, celery, and water. Add parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and 1 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for one hour.
Remove chicken and shred, set aside. Strain broth to remove all solids and return back to the pot. Dice remaining carrots and the butternut squash and add to the stock Stir in ginger, red pepper, cumin and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add chicken, chick peas, and rice or couscous and stir. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste. Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.

This post is linked to:
Souper Sundays
Hearth and Soul
Hunk of Meat Monday

10 comments:

Joanne said...

You and me both, girl! I feel so blasphemous saying it because I LIVE for sugar. But such is life.

This soup looks absolutely wonderful! The perfect way to warm up after shoveling tons of snow!

Joanna said...

Pierce, I have an older version of it and I have used it tons of times. It's got tons of excellent recipes for basics (great soups, doughs, classic dishes...) I do wish it had more photos, but the newer printing might. I haven't flipped through it!

Heather S-G said...

I feel ya, I've been diggin' in to the savory stews and warming foods to get over the sugar-saturation of late. Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing it w/ the hearth and soul hop :)

Claudia said...

I'm not saying anything about weather. Snicker snicker. But, that soup does look really lovely.

Hunger and Thirst said...

I'd take a spicy bowl of soup to a cookie any day, hands down, no contest. But this soup sounds especially nice right now with all the snow. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Joanna, this soup looks wonderful. I'm making the most of my summer and indulging in big bowls of salad right now, but I'm definitely bookmarking this for when winter comes around. Very best wishes for a wonderful year ahead :-)
Sue xo

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks perfectly warming and delicious--a great cure for the sugar blues. ;-) Thanks for sending it to Souper Sundays.

Corina said...

looks delicious. After all the sugar at Christmas I almost get vegtable cravings.

thais said...

this recipe sound so delicious. like no kidding I just want a plate right. now!
congrats on your march baby ;) I am expecting the second one and my due date is just by the end of august.
thx for stopping by ♥

Louisa said...

Hello Joanna,
I've just discovered your blog. I like it and I think you're funny. Happy New Year, I look forward to reading more!
Louisa