Thursday, May 20, 2010

Die Garnele und die Mango

It's Pot Luck week at IHCC, which generally stresses me out since I am incapable of making decisions when faced with no parameters. This week, it was easy. In keeping with my earlier mentioned lunch plans for this week whilst E visits das Vaterland, I went with something quick, healthy, and incredibly koestlich (that's German for delicious, one of the random words that sticks with me, like tittenfisch which means man-boobs. I'm serious.).

I had shrimp in the freezer and a bunch of mangoes, so I did a quick web search. The Bittman books I have on hand at the moment (How to Cook Everything VegetarianQuick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times and Bittman Takes on America's Chefs) have very few mango recipes. You'd think I could find something in those three books! I ended up finding several recipes online, including this one for Coconut Shrimp with Mango Salsa from one of Mark's Today Show appearances. I decided the shrimp would be too heavy, so I did a simple oven roast instead. This is my favorite way to cook shrimp! 450 degrees for 8 minutes and they are perfectly pink, with a little bit of bite and super tender insides. Another thing I like to do is buy a few pounds of raw shrimp, shells and veins removed, when they are on sale (obviously) and then take a few minutes to remove the tails and put 1/2 pound portions into freezer bags. If I pull a bag out at breakfast, they are defrosted by lunch time and ready to go with minimal work. This salad came together in literally 10 minutes.

Garlic Roasted Shrimp and Mango Salad


Ingredients: 
1/2 lb. shrimp, shells and veins removed
2 cups mixed baby greens
1 mango
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbls. lime juice
salt and pepper
olive oil
rice wine vinegar

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, toss shrimp with salt and pepper, garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil. Spread in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes, or until pink.

While shrimp cooks, peel and dice mango and toss in a small bowl with lime juice, cilantro, salt and red pepper flakes to taste.  Add greens and toss gently.

Arrange mango and greens on 2 plates, top with shrimp and drizzle with rice wine vinegar.

Print the Recipe






7 comments:

Jessica Gardner said...

Awesome! I could totally make this and it doesn't have onions - yay!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Wonderful--love the pairing of the shrimp and magoes. A great pick!

(And thanks for the new terminology for man-boobs lol!).

Kim said...

You've been eating so well this week! I like your idea of buying lots of shrimp and then packaging it up in the freezer. I wish I was that organized:-)
The shrimp and mangoes look gorgeous!

Tina said...

Mangos are available for me now, lots of em at the market - thanks for the idea! Looks great.

Joanne said...

I always feel slightly on edge whenever we have free reign for IHCC. Too much to choose from - I like having guidance!

This mango salad with shrimp looks delicious. Good choice!

Claudia said...

Two of my favorites, together in one meal! Shrimp and mangoes sounds so good.

The Burmese Mom said...

I love both shrimp and mangoes, so will try this recipe soon. Great job!