Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Do Over, Part Deux

I've spent the last three days holed up in the house, not cooking or eating anything. You see, I woke up Saturday morning looking like Angelina Jolie had just had collagen injections and then been repeatedly punched in the mouth. Not good. A trip to the emergency room and then one to the dermatologist left me with five prescriptions and a couple of different diagnoses. Turns out I am highly allergic to poison ivy, and somehow that little bastard plant got in my way last week. I spent several days on the couch in an antihistamine stupor, unable to eat anything that couldn't be sucked through a straw. I tried to do a little Wii workout to prevent my behind from actually growing into the cushions, but I kept getting dizzy and falling off. Luckily I woke up normal today (despite being insanely itchy) and I headed straight to the kitchen. I've been waiting to make my second recipe for Rachel's Blogiversary contest all week!

Coco-Coconut Key Lime Tarts
(This recipe makes 20 tart shells, but only 12 tarts. You may double the filling measurement for more tarts, or just wrap and freeze cooled tart shells for later use. They are perfect last minute desserts when topped with mousse or ice cream! You could also use this recipe to make a 9 inch pie.)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 10 crackers)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
6 Tbls. unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup key lime juice (about 12 key limes)
4 egg yolks
8 oz. coconut milk
6 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. vanilla or coconut extract
1 tablespoon superfine sugar

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two muffin tins with paper liners. In a medium bowl, blend crumbs, sugar, coconut and butter with a fork until combined. Spoon evenly into each paper liner, then press to form a shell. Bake for 8 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool.

Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. In another bowl, whisk key lime juice, egg yolks, coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk. Transfer into a measuring cup with a spout and pour evenly into 12 of the shells. Bake for 12 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.

In a chilled bowl, whip cream with extract and sugar until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon onto cooled tarts and garnish with a slice of lime. Refrigerate one hour before serving.


Perfect cool desserts for a day so hot my whipped cream was melting within minutes!
 It's almost 90 degrees on my porch! 

So what do you think? Should I submit these to the contest? Or the mussels? Or the scones? I'd love if you'd help me decide by leaving a comment with your vote! Thanks!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry about your poison ivy. Yuck. I am currently on the couch because I twisted my ankle gardening. Jeez! Who knew nature was so against us?! Feel better soon!
I vote for the tarts - they are so cute and look so yummy. (I think I love "cute" food!)
Love, Jenny C

Jessica Gardner said...

I agree with Jenny - go with these!

Sorry about the poison ivy. Ew! Glad you are feeling better.

Tina said...

Well I know I don't have to tell you that poison ivy sucks...what a drag! I hope you feel better soon.

Fantastic tarts though :-)